Civic Parish Councils, which were set up in 1894 by an Act of Parliament introduced by the then Prime Minister, William Ewart Gladstone are regarded as being the “grass roots’ of democracy and local government.
The first Parish Meeting in North Mymms was held on 4th December 1894 and the first actual Parish Council Meeting was on 2nd January 1895 under the provisional chairmanship of Samuel Gurney Sheppard Esquire. At the next meeting, on 26th February 1895, Archibald Thompson Esquire JP of Mimmwood took over the chairmanship. He continued as Chairman until 1907 when Admiral Sir J Fellowes KCB of Roestock Manor took over until 1913. Chairmen are now retired automatically on a yearly basis.The first ‘lady’ Chairman was Councillor Mrs Pat Storey in 1979-80.North Mymms parish is one of the largest in Hertfordshire, its main source of income is a precept which is part of your Council Tax. Other income is derived from hiring out the bowling green, football field etc.Parish councils have legal powers as defined in various Acts, but they have fewer duties than district councils and greater freedom to choose what actions to take.
They represent the interests of the local communities and seek to improve the quality of life and local environment, influencing decisions and delivering services to meet local needs.North Mymms covers 1892.77 hectares and in the 2011 census the number of ‘usual residents’ was 8921.North Mymms parish includes Brookmans Park, Welham Green, Bell Bar, Water End, Bullens Green, Marshmoor, North Mymms Park and Church and part of Little Heath. The full council usually meets at 7.30pm on the last Wednesday of each month except August and December.
All meetings are open to the public.
North Mymms Crest
The Parish Council uses the logo shown above. The design represents local features.
The top left hand quarter is the balloon of Vincenzo Lunardi who flew from the Artillery Grounds, Moorfields, London to Colliers End on 16 Sept. 1784. During this flight his balloon landed at what is known as Balloon Corner, being at the junction of Dellsome Lane and Parsonage Lane, Welham Green. His cat had become air-sick and was left with a local woman while he continued his flight. For more detail visit www.northmymmshistory.uk and search against Lunardi.
The top right hand quarter is a stag or hart representing Hertfordshire.
The bottom left hand quarter is Folly Arch, Hawkshead Road, Little Heath. It was built in 1740 to a design attributed to James Gibbs as a feature of the Gobions Estate. Click here for a picture of Folly Arch. For more detail visit www.northmymmshistory.uk and search against Folly Arch.
The bottom right hand quarter is the parish church of St Mary’s at North Mymms Park. The original church had a spire but this was removed in the 1900s. Click here for a picture taken about 1905 of the church showing the spire.
In the bottom section, the green triangle represents the Triangulation Point used by surveyors for accurate positioning.
The trees represent Gobions Wood, Brookmans Park. The wavy lines represent water. This could be a reference to the Three Valleys Water Co which has a pumping station on Warrengate Road, North Mymms, or maybe the lake at Gobions?.
The Parish Council is pleased to support the Welham Green Community Book Swap which is held on the first Saturday of each month and every Wednesday from 9:30-12:30pm at the North Mymms memorial hall. Bring a book, swap book, partake in some refreshments or just relax and enjoy the company! In addition they offer a chidren’s story time every 4th Wednesday.
At our January 2016 meeting, we awarded grants to the following local organistaions and charities.
North Mymms Royal British Legion (£50)
St Mary’s Church (£1100)
Community Bookswap Scheme (£300)
Welham Green Residents Association (£200)
North Mymms Youth Project (£600)
Rotary Club of Brookmans Park (£350)
North Mymms Youth and Community Centre (£800)
Herts Air Ambulance (£250)
North Mymms Scout Group (£340)
Isobel Hospice (£500)
Little Heath Parish Hall (£300)
Hatfield Town Football Club (£100).
The Parish Charity was set up hundreds of years ago to assist those in poverty and gave food originally – a gift of bread was given to widows. This is now updated and it gives money instead to widows or widowers who qualify. The work of the Parish Charity therefore continues.
It seeks to help people who are in some financial difficulty. This is on the basis of regular donations and additionally small Easter gifts. Widows and widowers in need of assistance should be put forward to the Trustees. The Charity is actively seeking people to give support to, or indeed, any person who knows of Widows and Widowers who are in need and living in the parish.
This is of course in total confidence and recipients are not publically revealed. Please contact the Clerk, Mr John Potter, via the council office for further information..
Translate our site into multiple languages.